F10 automatic F10 upgrades to F11?

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Thu Jul 23 23:44:02 UTC 2009

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> On 07/23/2009 05:30 PM, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>> Ok, I tried the text mode (using net-install CD), and
>> I get the same failure as with the preupgrade program.
>>
>> The net-install CD does not update grub with the boot
>> code whereas preupgrade does. The net-install CD appears
>> to have affected my F-10 yum repos when running in F10,
>> as yum now updates as F11, yet fails to complete due
>> to an older (F10) packagekit conflict. I have a feeling
>> that my F10 yum/rpm is now hosed. I am still able to
>> run as F10.
>>
>> So far as upgrades go, it does not worked for my
>> (old) computer. I have wasted 2-3 weeks over upgrades
>> and doing a fresh install would have been much faster,
>> or so it seems.
> Dan, I've just finished 2 upgrades and a clean install.
> And I have 3 different stories.....
{snip!}
>     More input as I stumble across it!
OMG!  Sounds more like horror stories and it seems to be
all the more reasons move towards a clean install, instead
of an upgrade.  Thanks for sharing that - I guess it seems that
upgrades are not for the faint of heart.

I have not invested a lot of time with F10 (other than installing
and updating it [and upgrades, I might add...]) due to the fact I
*really* wanted the "gnome session save" working on F10,
which will probably never see the light of day.

My computer with F10 installed is a PIII 256cache, w/ 512MB
RAM, Nvidia TNT, has >50GB of freespace and sadly, I was not
able to do an upgrade.  It really bombs out. This F10 as I showed
earlier, is disk encrypted, is LVM, otherwise might be the real
problem why upgrades will not work.  I have no clue. No
breadcrumbs to follow as to why it fails.

I also have an old system w/P3x2, w/256MB RIMM and I discovered
quickly that I could only install up to F9.  F10 apparently requires
at least 512MB RAM in order to run off the CD install. It never had
a chance, in hell even ;)

Thanks for sharing!
Dan