Fedora Developer Ranking System v1

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Tue Feb 27 05:14:45 UTC 2007

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>> FD0: Probationary/Training
>>       Write access to own packages only
>> ---: Read-Only Access to Package SCM
>
> Okay, here is what I am specifically interested in.  As a package
> maintainer, I'd like to find a way to get upstream developers for some
> packages involved as co-maintainers, if they are interested. What I'd
> like is that initially I'm the primary maintainer, but I'd like to
> have upstream people who are new to the fedora packaging process be
> secondary maintainers, so I can work with them inside the SCM until
> its clear to a sponsor that they can take over primary maintainership,
> and I can dial back my involvement in that package to a secondary
> maintainer role.  This way I can hopefully train up active
> maintainers, who are less likely to orphan a package, without burning
> myself out with packaging duties.

This is exactly the desired scenario: using FD0 to scale the project and
multiply your efforts many times fold.

1) Existing Fedora contributor owns 50 packages.
2) Find upstream developers who are interested in more directly
maintaining their own software in Fedora.
3) Ease them into the process with FD0, connect them to Fedora bug
tickets and train them slowly so they aren't overwhelmed.
4) Over time they might feel comfortable in their limited role, and you
can reduce your involvement in that package.  Some might even choose to
expand their involvement in other packages now that they understand the
Fedora package process.

> I hate watching package submissions from upstream developers languish
> in review. I've jumped in and taken maintainership over in a couple of
> cases, to keep the issue of sponsorship from keeping the package out.
> But obviously that's not ideal, because it doesn't help the upstream
> developer show necessary competence for sponser review.  I'd like to
> think that some of us more veteran packagers can act as mentors for
> these people in a way that lets them build a track record of correct
> action for sponsors to review without holding up the packaging itself.
>  Is the FD0 concept meant to help with this sort of scenario?

Yes!  You got it.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com