Fedora Developer Ranking System v1

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Feb 27 09:37:35 UTC 2007

On 27.02.2007 06:14, Warren Togami wrote:
> Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>>> FD0: Probationary/Training
>>>       Write access to own packages only
>>> ---: Read-Only Access to Package SCM
>> Okay, here is what I am specifically interested in.  As a package
>> maintainer, I'd like to find a way to get upstream developers for some
>> packages involved as co-maintainers, if they are interested. What I'd
>> like is that initially I'm the primary maintainer, but I'd like to
>> have upstream people who are new to the fedora packaging process be
>> secondary maintainers, so I can work with them inside the SCM until
>> its clear to a sponsor that they can take over primary maintainership,
>> and I can dial back my involvement in that package to a secondary
>> maintainer role.  This way I can hopefully train up active
>> maintainers, who are less likely to orphan a package, without burning
>> myself out with packaging duties.
>
> This is exactly the desired scenario: using FD0 to scale the project and
> multiply your efforts many times fold.
> [...]
>> I hate watching package submissions from upstream developers languish
>> in review. I've jumped in and taken maintainership over in a couple of
>> cases, to keep the issue of sponsorship from keeping the package out.
>> But obviously that's not ideal, because it doesn't help the upstream
>> developer show necessary competence for sponser review.  I'd like to
>> think that some of us more veteran packagers can act as mentors for
>> these people in a way that lets them build a track record of correct
>> action for sponsors to review without holding up the packaging itself.
>>  Is the FD0 concept meant to help with this sort of scenario?
> Yes!  You got it.

I disagree. The problem afaics (correct me if I'm wrong) is only solved
if the packager is a sponsor. But we should solve the problem also for
non-sponsors, so a normal and experienced packager (I'd roughly say this
means all of the packagers we currently have that are around for more
then 3 months and have at least two packages) that are not yet sponsors
should be able to get upstream involved easily, too.

In other words: FD0 should gets access to some packages only, no access
to the buildsystem to prevent that stuff get build and pushed out.
Members of FD2 (e.g. packagers that are around for some time and got a
bit experience) could approve members for FD0 (for example upstream or
new packagers) and give them access to their packages. But FD2 members
should still not be able to upgrade people to FD1 (that should still
require a proper sponsor).

CU
thl