Pushing updates for Fedora 7

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jun 1 12:40:39 UTC 2007

Hans de Goede wrote:

> 1) Can it cause regressions for existing users? -> No

It wouldn't be classified as a regression but new packages can
definitely cause issues when user's see the announcement and install it
if they are not tested appropriately.

> 2) Will it get installed automatically by the relative few people who
> have updates -testing enabled, and thus see any kind of testing (atleast
> if its installable)? -> No

It won't get automatically installed but we can solve that by having a
QA group that gets all the packages pushed into updates-testing or
finding other good solutions to solve this.

> 3) Is there any added value in a new package first sitting for a few
> days in testing -> No (because of 2)

2 is a justification for better QA solutions to the problem and not for
ignoring any chances to test new packages.

> 4) Is it rewarding to packagers if there packages become available to
> all immediately -> Yes

We need to care about end users not getting affected more compared to
packagers gratification of getting a new package a week earlier.

> 5) Are the chances of end-users seeing the package and thus installing
> it, leading to it actually getting tested better in updates-testing, or
> in updates? ->

If every package that is pushed to the development tree gets pushed into
the updates tree for existing releases they would get more testing too.
I don't think you would argue for that.

Rahul