RH recommends using Windows?

Eric Wood eric at interplas.com
Tue Nov 4 18:39:09 UTC 2003

Trond Eivind Glomsrød wrote:
> If you expect consumer hardware to just work (wireless, graphics card,
> fancy gizmos bought at compusa) etc to just work
>
> The corporate desktop is much easier to reach for, because it is a
> more stable and less diverse target.

But because of its diverseness, Windows 98/ME and XP made it to the
corporate desktop because it was easy to use at home, and people thought,
"Hey, I'll use this at work."

RH, to me, was attacking the Windows market on two fronts simultaneously,
corporate (stability) and home (features).   End users want stablilty, but
all they ever talk about is features!  For example, I bought a couple
different USB jumpdrive things (and you must by psychic, from CompUSA),
stuck 'em in and nothing happened on Fedora, but a drive letter simply comes
up in ME/XP.  It's lots of little things like that which yeild the kudos.

And if my name is Linksys, HP, Canon, etc. and I hear that RH doesn't want
or have a desire to appeal to home users any more, then why should I
continue writing linux drivers?  I'll be less motivated to do so - not
really for them of course. ;-)

Even if RH doesn't official support Fedora, which is fine, they really need
to convey a tone that they still look forward to going after the home
desktop with Fedora.  I re-read
http://fedora.redhat.com/about/objectives.html and it's just not there.
But, maybe that's not what Fedora is about either.... dunno.

-eric wood