Could tthere be an update iso distribution

Dan Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Thu Mar 16 17:39:14 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 09:18 -0800, alan wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>
> > On 3/16/06, Jonathan Berry <berryja at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> That may be true, but when I spend a not insignificant amount of money
> >> on a nice video card, I expect to be able to use all of the
> >> functionality.
> >
> > I suggest you re-calibrate that expectation for any hardware which
> > requires drivers which do not exist in the mainline kernel tree. How
> > exactly are you in a position to claim nvidia "usually" works? Are the
> > statistically significant publically available stats about the nvidia
> > driver install base which you can cite?
>
> Not without involving marketing.
>
> If that advice was followed by Windows users, no one would have a  useful
> video card there either.  Windows supports little well "out of the box".
> You always have to install drivers with the device.  No matter what it is.

I found that windows will support 640x480 for darn nearly all video
cards but you can use the CD, floppies, or Internet (once up) and simply
update the drivers. It is REALLY EASY to do.

But regarding this release, because Fedora has a program (called kudzu)
that is behaving ungracefully, I would say that allowing this release to
proceed without a fix is just incredulous to me because it is FEDORA's
PROBLEM (even if it was caused by the vendor), but since FEDORA's kuzdu
HANGS UMGRACEFULLY, does not BYPASS the problem device or driver, it is
IMHO a flaw in the code or at least in the design.

Just imagine for a moment that some other device, pick one, exhibits the
same symptom as the one caused by nvidia - then what?  Then another
device, then another...  so what will Fedora say?

"NOT OUR PROBLEM" and so the finger pointing keeps pointing outwards
instead of inwards.  THIS is the kind of mentality that can get a
professional fired (unless the marketing types or "big boss upstairs"
decides to call it an "acceptable risk").

Just my opinion,
Dan