Removing unwanted xorg-x11-drv packages

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Sep 6 01:37:56 UTC 2006

Charles Curley wrote:

One of the most annoying things regarding Windows is having to hunt for
the install disk whenever you changed any simple item on the system.
(W98 at least)
The beauty with Linux is that you put in some hardware and it is
relatively easy to be up and running without needing to hunt all over
the Internet or install media for the appropriate drivers for the
hardware. It is great for the system to be loaded as it is now. If it
was decided to slim down the unused elements until needed, compressing
the elements like is done for documentation would be a better concept in
my opinion.
I recently installed FC4 on a computer and all of the hardware worked on
initial setup. Everything still worked after upgrading the system to
FC5. (Except for a minor configuration file).
In comparison, I installed W2K on the same system and it did not
recognize the modem, sound card, video card on install. I had to install
a known to work network card, hunt the Internet for specific drivers
which were provided for the particular motherboard in order to get the
other hardware to work.
Way off the basic topic I realize. In cases regarding video cards, I
change from one card to another video card frequently. Having all the
drivers available and only needing to change the configuration file or
allow hardware detection to make the needed adjustments is a plus and
not a waste of space. People install the Fedora Distribution on one
computer and swap the disk into other computers for its intended use. It
works easily with the current way that most devices are ready to go with
minor changes.
One individuals bloat is an asset for other goals people intend to use a
system for.
Why complain about the drivers being there? You could probably remove
the package that pulls in the requires for all of the video driver
packages. Then you can customize your system to be one video driver
centric. Before the hub package, I had to manually hunt and yum in
different drivers for each system that I ran it on. Who needs that!
(yumming or rpm installation)

Jim

--
Your Flux Capacitor has gone bad.