[Fedora-trans-ar] glossary issues!

Munzir Taha munzirtaha at newhorizons.com.sa
Thu Dec 9 18:54:41 UTC 2004

On Yaum al-Khamees 26 Shawwal 1425 6:27 pm, Mohammad Ghoniem wrote:
> Salâms
>
> Munzir Taha wrote:
> >First name الاسم الفردي
> >
> >Didn't we agree to call it الاسم الأول?
>
> I really don't like this translation. I prefer الاسم الفرديif you have
> no strong feelings about it. :)

I, myself, have heard الاسم الأول many times but have never heard of الاسم
الفردي before and now I rechecked my ALMAWRID dictionary and could only see
this translation for first. First != "single". e.g. First name, First class,
First lady ;)

The good thing here is that we are from different countries and grown in
different cultures so we want our translation to be as smooth as possible for
majority of the users. If my reasoning is not convincing, the other opinions
here would solve this issue. We will follow the majority.

Hey! All of you over there tell us your opinion regarding this translation!
Please!

> Another observation that one may have would concern the translation of
> whole expressions and phrases such as "as you type" or "Confined
> Services". I feel these phrases are not technical (it is plain English)

Confined services is technical WANUS ;)

> and should not appear in the glossary. Right ?

I will state my opinion here and would like to hear from all of you. The
glossary is mainly to help us translate Fedora in a systematic and correct
way. If a word or phrase appeared on Fedora and some translated it in a
strange/incorrect way, we need to mention it on the glossary. It's not a
matter of technical or not technical as much as it's a matter of easy or
difficult. Help, default, ... are not technical but if we didn't mention them
you would find various translations for the same word which will render
Fedora translation inconsistent at the end. For example, some would translate
Help as مساعدة others as تعليمات others as التعليمات another example which you
find in Windows they sometimes translate Recycle bin as سلة المهملات and
other times as سلة المحذوفات and at the end you will end up with confused
users.

--
Munzir Taha  PGP Key available

Mandrake Club Member
Maintainer of the Open Arabic Bugs Project at
http://wiki.arabeyes.org/OpenBugs
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS, Linux+, LPI 101
New Horizons CLC, Riyadh, SA