[fedora-virt] virt-viewer windows port

anuj rampal rampal.anuj at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 13:11:03 UTC 2009

Hi,

You say above that libvirt "works",

Yes, libvirt works.

By this I mean that I have sucessfully build the libvirt-0.7.0 for windows
using mingw.
So now i have libvirt-0.dll and virsh.exe.
Using this dll I can connect to the libvirtd server and call functions
successfully.

but I want you to try it in a
controlled environment.  First off, try some simple virsh commands:

 virsh list
 virsh -c ... list

(with various connection strings).

Even virsh.exe also works fine when connect to TCP connection. and i can
call the functions without any issues.

But with TLS there was some certificate issue but after resolving this
issue, im still not able to connect to the libvirt
this is what it says:

>virsh.exe -c qemu://FC11-KVM/session
error: unable to connect to libvirtd at 'FC11-KVM': errno=22
error: failed to connect to the hypervisor

this is what it says...???? (this is from my vista machine)

from a different linux machine this works fine... (same uri = virsh -c
qemu://FC11-KVM/session)

Other connect strings are not supported on windows (unix, ssh, ext)

>virsh.exe -c qemu+ssh://FC11-KVM/session
error: invalid argument in transport methods unix, ssh and ext are not
supported
 under Windows
error: failed to connect to the hypervisor

this is what it says.

Second, set the LIBVIRT_DEBUG environment variable to 1 (I have no
idea how you do that in Windows).  Then repeat the above commands.

And i dont have to change any configuration on windows because i only have
dll and exe thats all....

every this has to be changed on the libvirt server(linux machine where
libvirtd is running).

virt-viewer -v -c ... host

i tried using different connection string on my vista machine

virt-viewer -c qemu+tcp://FC11-KVM/session gets connected. but hangs and
nothing happens.

virt-viewer -v -c qemu://FC11-KVM/session (i.e. tls)
gives error:
unable to connect to libvirt qemu://FC11-KVM/session

Regards
Anuj