Websites running on Drupal

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sat Nov 12 21:48:29 UTC 2005

> Peace everyone. I am going to repeat the same suggestion. If the cms
> needs to be run within fedoraproject.org it has already been made clear
> that Seth doesnt want a PHP based solution due to security concerns from
> a administrative point of view. Python is generally what Fedora prefers
> too.  So we can look at the python based CMS and check which one fits
> our needs or just set a redirect from news.fedoraproject.org to
> fedoranews.org and let Thomas Chung continue to administrate and setup
> Drupal or anything else that he prefers.

I will quote here what I said to Elliot(sopwith) off list a few weeks
ago:

Begin Quote:

However, if drupal is the "final decision" and you wish to insist on
using it then at the very least I want to see:
  -  a drupal and drupal-module packages show up in fedora extras LONG
before we implement it.

No matter what system is chosen I want to see:
  - all modules we write for it MUST live in fedora cvs and the
developers will NOT have direct write access to the web server running
the website and from where the system runs. This is for the system's
protection and to enforce rigor among the people maintaining the site.
  - Programming standards like the process we have implemented for
extras packages.  So no one person can push through some crack onto the
live system.

I think we're making a mistake by developing our website using a
language which is not the primary development language for applications
and utilities we write for the distribution we work on. We're dividing
our programming resources and we're sending a mixed message on language
use. Not to mention encouraging poor programming practices.

End Quote

-sv