[Fedora-xen] Using pre-built images with FC6 Xen?

Todd Ignasiak ignasiak at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 04:05:47 UTC 2007

I've been messing around with Xen in FC6 lately, and after some delays
(figuring out SELinux was blocking access to my image, and finally
moving it to /xen) I have been able to build OS images from scratch.

Now, I am trying to get a few Xen images that I downloaded running.
But, when I start the VM, I get a system/BIOS error message saying the
disk is not bootable.   Is there some extra step that needs to be done
to get Xen to recognize disk images?

I am running on a Core2 Duo based system, in 64 bit mode, with VT
enabled.  I'm using an HVM config, similar to one I used on a self
built image.  I've tried it with a few images, such as the MySQL VM
from virtualappliances.net

The config looks like:

name = "mysql"
builder = "hvm"
memory = "128"
disk = [ 'file:/xen/VirtualAppliancesMySQL/vadisk-xen-mysql,hda,w', ]
vif = [ 'type=ioemu, mac=00:16:3e:6c:c4:f2, bridge=xenbr0', ]
uuid = "ba39d3e4-130c-abf6-d7ae-a312420a4966"
device_model = "/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-dm"
kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
vnc=1
vncunused=1
apic=1
acpi=1
pae=1

vcpus=1
serial = "pty" # enable serial console
on_reboot   = 'restart'
on_crash    = 'restart'

Any tips on how to get pre-made images working with FC6 Xen?