[Freeipa-users] certificate renewal stuck

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Sat Aug 29 18:08:20 UTC 2015

Mike LoSapio wrote:
> I suspect that was the issue -
>
> Of course moved on to something else (hostname removed)
>
> Request ID '20140520151448':
> 	status: CA_UNREACHABLE
> 	ca-error: Server at https://ldapserver/ipa/xml failed request, will
> retry: 4301 (RPC failed at server.  Certificate operation cannot be
> completed: Unable to communicate with CMS (Not Found)).

The Not Found comes from the Apache proxy forwarding to the CA. This
usually means that while tomcat is up the CA webapp is not running. This
is usually caused by the audit subsystem killing it for having expired
certs, bad trust, etc. The CA debug log may hold more details.

The usual fix is to go back in time when the certs are still valid and
get certmonger to do the renewal for you.

rob