[K12OSN] New Network - Fiber planned - Need advice

Larry Mateo LarryM at fsusd.k12.ca.us
Wed Apr 21 20:45:20 UTC 2004

FYI: For a good overview of fiber technology, see http://literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5968-5117E.pdf.

-----Original Message-----
From: k12osn-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:k12osn-bounces at redhat.com]On
Behalf Of Jim Christiansen
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 11:10 AM
To: k12osn at redhat.com
Subject: [K12OSN] New Network - Fiber planned - Need advice

Our school looks as if it is going to be rewired and soon.  I took a
couple of the replies I got from this list to school (Thank you everyone
who answered with ideas) and explained them to my technician.  He was
happy to see that fibre was mentioned to help out in our long-long cat 5
runs past ballasts and chillers/air handlers all along inside the
ceilings.

Now, what equipment would you recommend or are using in your schools?
My room wil be the center of the new network.  It is away from the big
electrical equipment.  We have a need for one 8 port fibre switch that
will feed 7 other fiber media adapters so that we can use our existing
newer switches at the ends of the long runs.

We are looking for equipment brand names, model numbers, and of course
the cheapest workable solution.  None of us here have even seen a fiber
setup.

Thanks,

Jim

Larry Mateo
Network Technician II
Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District
larrym at fsusd.k12.ca.us