[K12OSN] DNS....not quite understanding it.....

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Mon Aug 16 23:37:29 UTC 2004

David Trask wrote:

>since I have the names entered into the SME server and I know they
>work....(I tested it by changing the option for name server in my
>dhcpd.conf file to point to the SME server instead of the DHCP server aka
>squidward)  do I even need to bother with running named on the DHCP server
>(squidward)?  Will this affect my K12LTSP server at all?  Doesn't seem to
>thus far.  Yet now I seem to be able to resolve the names of my printers.
>Any advice...appreciated....   :-)

As long as your dns server is reachable by any systems configured
(manually or via dhcp) to use it, it does not matter which system serves
dns.  If you were configuring your dhcp server to perform dynamic
updates to dns then you might want to make them the same machine and
restrict that access to loopback in dns, however there are other
security options to make that secure, so dhcp and dns need not be on the
same server even when using dynamic update.

Because both are a critical part of your infrastructure I would want
them to have raid disk and you should consider configuring an alternate
dhcp server you can bring online quickly and one or more slave dns
servers which are also listed in your dhcp assigned dns servers.

Chris