[K12OSN] Help me....backup reassurance needed

Paul Davison pauldavison at psps.com
Thu Mar 11 08:21:00 UTC 2004

Terrell Prude', Jr. wrote:

> Caleb Wagnon wrote:
>
>> Can someone tell me the most likely things I need to backup on my ltsp
>> server
<snip>
> The way I do it is to back up the entire /etc, /opt/ltsp/i386 directory
> (or /opt/ltsp/ppc, if you're running PMac clients), and /home
> directories.  That's always worked pretty well for me...when upgrading
> from one version of a certain distro to a newer version of the same
> distro, e. g. Red Hat 7.3 to, say, Red Hat 9, or the K12LTSP versions
> thereof.
<snip>

I would add a couple of additional items to that list.  /var/www/ if it
is a webserver, /var/spool/mail  if it is a mailserver, and I would take
a look in /var/ for any other critical items like mysql databases etc.
I would also backup /root/ if there are any critical items there.

cheers

Paul Davison