[K12OSN] lilo config? MBR hosery? boot issues...

anthony baldwin anthonybaldwin at snet.net
Fri May 14 22:55:08 UTC 2004

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 17:19, anthony baldwin wrote:
>

>>I just checked Kdiskfree to take a look at my partition table (make sure
>>that /dev/hda1 was the /boot), and I've noticed that, in addition to
>>whatever is wrong with the MBR or boot loader, my swap partition seems
>>to have completely disappeared.
>

> An upgrade shouldn't change partitions or mount points at all.  Does
> /etc/fstab still mention a swap partition?

I just checked /etc/fstab and it does list /dev/hda3 swap, so I guess
that is not a concern after all...Silly me...

>>I tried to install grub, but apparently I am not translating the man
>>pages correctly.
>

> If everything else is correct, running
> grub-install
> as root should do it all for you.  If you try it the hard way
> you have to figure out the bsd-style partition name conventions.

Well, I guess it's
/sbin/grub-install /dev/hda1
which I just did.  I'm going to reboot now and see what happens.
I've never used grub before, always lilo.
Wish me luck...I'll be back soon enough, either whining more or elatedly
offering you the first of my crop for the next 5 years...
If this doesn't work, maybe I'll backup home and do the fresh install.
I did hear that a fresh install was desirable when moving from RH to
Fedora, I'm just too lazy to backup my entire /home, unless I really,
really have to.

--
Anthony Baldwin
http://www.School-Library.net