[K12OSN] Why Linux?

Richard K. Ingalls ringalls at glenwood.k12.mo.us
Thu Nov 4 20:38:48 UTC 2004

David Tisdell wrote:

>Hi Jason,
>K12LTSP has been a god send for us. I needed to set up
>some new labs and had no money to buy traditional
>workstations. What I did have was a bunch of old
>Pentium I machines lying around unused that were no
>longer useful on our network. I converted them to
>K12LTSP thin clients and voila. They were running
>modern software and getting heavy use. There were some
>glitches in the beginning as I had only run Linux as a
>server not a workstation. Since that experiment, I
>have created minilabs in classrooms with more of those
>otherwise outdated machines and teachers are ecstatic.
>Kids can do research on the net, write papers, do
>projects etc. Good luck and I hope this helps. I never
>could have done this with a traditional client server
>approach.
>Dave

almost the exact same story for me & my school too

"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
 for that which he cannot lose."
 -- Jim Elliott

RICHARD K. INGALLS
Director of Information Technology
Glenwood R-8 School District
West Plains, MO

email..ringalls (at) glenwood.k12.mo.us
web....http://glenwood.k12.mo.us
ph.....417.256.4849
fax....417.257.2567

"Miracles are a retelling in small letters
 of the very same story which is written across
 the whole world in letters too large
 for some of us to see."
 -- C. S. Lewis