[K12OSN] Managing identical logins...

Rob Owens robowens at myway.com
Thu Feb 3 11:42:49 UTC 2005

Ok, I think I understand you now.  Each class has it's own login and common storage space, but that storage space is inaccessible to other classes.  Students in a class have access to the work of other students in the same class, be it authorized or not.

Here's a possible scenario that the people here who are smarter than me can consider.  What if when the teacher logs in (with a user-specific account, if that's acceptable), it triggers the auto-generation of 30 user accounts which are automatically logged in at the terminals and automatically assigned a group name of "Mrs. Smith 1st period".  There's a folder called "Mrs. Smith 1st period" with read/write access only to those in the group.  Perhaps a link could automatically be placed in each user's home directory, so there are no questions about where to save the files.  When the teacher logs out, all the user accounts can be deleted (and hopefully none of the students saved their work in their home directory).

This scenario might only work if each classroom has its own server.  Anybody else see other problems with it?

-Rob