[K12OSN] one more time

Sharon Betts sbetts at msad71.net
Wed Feb 23 18:50:41 UTC 2005

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 at 11:36 AM +0000 wrote:
>Please elaborate on what you're trying to do.  It's not clear to me what
>you want to accomplish.  If all your clients boot from their local
>drives, what's the point of the terminal server?  Actually, the real
>question is the other way around: since you can have the clients boot
>from an LTSP server, why even bother having a locally-installed OS on
>the clients?  Or are these Windows boxes that need to remain so, but you
>want to use a boot-floppy for those times when you want them to be
>thin-clients?
I have IGEL clients (linux flash bootable) and legacy windows 2000
machines.  They presently all boot and then authenticate through my
Windows server, access my WIndows terminal server for Star Office and many
other apps. and use the file server for their folders.

 I want to implement a Linux terminal server to serve GIMP, some TUX
stuff, Scribus, Kino, etc.   The users need to be able to access the apps
on the windows terminal server as well  and print to network printers and
save/load from their folders (on the Windows file server).  These are
elementary students and teachers -- things must be pretty seamless for
success.  This is my pilot school -- I have 4 others presently running
purely WIndows networks (except for one standalone LTSP project with thin
clients).

Best scenario --At each school, my windows authentication and file servers
remain, and I add both WIndows and a LInux terminal servers and get away
from all those locally installed apps.  Obviously adding Windows terminal
servers is no problem, its the linux....
Sharon