[K12OSN] Problem getting Workstations to Boot

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Mon Feb 7 14:27:03 UTC 2005

> What is happening is this: When I try and boot a client,
> either with a boot floppy, bootable NIC, or PXE I am unable
> to load a kernel.  Actually, I can sometimes load a kernel
> and other times not.  It is very inconsistent.  All
> workstations always pull an IP address but then stop.

I am guessing that since your router and your ltsp dhcp server nic are
on the same network is, your router and the ltsp box are fighting for
who offers dhcp addresses.  If the router grabs the client before the
ltsp box the dhcp server won't have the right settings to get the kernel
and such.  This would explain the hit and miss results.  So again,
isolate the ltsp network first with a 2 nic setup, and put the clients
on the isolated switch away from the router.