[K12OSN] Installing FC2 (4.2.0), but no GUI

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Tue Feb 22 17:28:08 UTC 2005

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 11:15:30AM -0500, Henry Hartley wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 at 10:34 AM Richard Ingalls said:
> >>
> >> When trying to install FC2 (using the K12ltsp 4.2.0
> >> ISO's burned to CD), the installer does not go to the
> >> GUI.  Instead it asks me for the install medium (hard
> >> drive, CD ROM, network).  I tell it to install from
> >> the CD ROM but it says it cannot find it!
>
> K12LTSP 4.2.0 is based on FC3, not FC2.  Are you sure you have 4.2.0?
> Are you sure you are installing FC2?
>
> >> What is going on here?  I just used these exact CDs to
> >> install FC2 on a different machine and it worked fine.
> >>  I'm willing to try the install via NFS if I need to,
> >> but I'd like to know why this isn't working on this
> >> machine.  Could it be that the video card isn't
> >> recognized by the installer?  But that wouldn't
> >> explain why I couldn't continue the install from CD
> >> though.
>
> It's possible that the CD drive is the problem.  I had a case (on an
> older version) where I could not boot from the CD and even when I booted
> from a floppy and tried to start a CD install, I could not because the
> CD drive could not be found.

I had the same problem with a Knoppix CD and an old CD-ROM drive.
The computer could boot from the CD, but couldn't find the Knoppix
file system.

It turned out I had to disable DMA on the IDE interface connected to
the CDROM. Since this was the secondary IDE interface (which is typical),
that meant adding "ide1=nodma" to the boot line.

You might give that a try.

Calvin

--
Calvin Dodge