[K12OSN] Terminals running sloooow

Sudev Barar sbarar at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 03:35:00 UTC 2005

On 7/4/05, Krsnendu dasa <krsnendu at orcon.net.nz> wrote:
> I have just noticed that our terminals are running slow now. I think the
> usage has increase over the last week with more people using openoffice
> writer and impress as well as scribus. Some using firefox also. Openoffice
> impress has been especially slow.

I hope the version of OO is later than 1.12. Earlier version had a
problem that the file pspfontcache grew very large and slowed OO. IAC
try deleting this file in users home subdirectory for OO.

> SATA HD and I think 1 GB RAM (maybe 2 GB how do I check without rebooting?)

$free -m
will show you how much memory. You can also run top and the first few
lines give the memory and usage status.

> How can I find out what is making everything slow? Is there some diagnostic
> software or log file I can look at?

Try iptraf if you feel network slow down / chocking is the issue.
Although from specs you have mentioned this should not be so.

I did take liberty in snippings.
--
Sudev Barar
Learning Linux