[K12OSN] Update from FC2 to FC5 via SSH?

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Thu Aug 10 01:03:04 UTC 2006

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Jim Kronebusch wrote:

> Okay, I know this is probably not the most recommended option and any
> answers come with no warranty :-)
>
> Anyhow, I just want to know if this is feasible.  I have a K12LTSP server
> based off of FC2 (I can't remember if that was K12LTSP v4 or v3) and I want
> to upgrade it to K12LTSP v5.0.0.  Now the trick is, I am wondering if this
> is possible completely via SSH through yum or some other trick.  I am
> completely nuts?
>
> If this is possible please let me know the steps necessary.  Again, I know
> that tarring /home and a handful of config files from /etc/ and wiping the
> server with a fresh install would be the best option.  I also know that
> upgrading via CD's would be the next best option.  I just want to know if
> this is possible and how.
>
> Thanks

Yes, it is possible:

"Although upgrades with yum have been tested and work, live upgrades are
  not recommended by the Fedora Project. If you are not prepared to
  resolve issues on your own if things break, you should probably use the
  recommend installation methods instead. With a typical installation, this
  method usually works well, but it can break third-party packages not
  available in the Fedora repositories. Please search the mailing list
  archives first if you run into problems."

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq

-Eric