Re: [K12OSN] K12LTSP Installation Westmont High School

On 10/12/06, Bruce Anderson <bruce g anderson gmail com> wrote:
I think I did a pretty default installation of K12LTSP version 4.4.1 from
CDs on a VALinux 1220 (dual 800 MHz PIIIs with 2048MB and two 18 GB scsci
drives).

Bruce can you describe your network and confirm you are using 100mbps
switches and not hubs?

I installed an Aopen AON-325 network card from DisklessWorkstations.com on a
VALinux 420 (700 MHz Celeron).

It takes my new LTSP server a long time to boot -- there are various
messages that the BIOS is too old, MPBIOS bug, agpgart: unable to determine
aperture size, etc., -- it spends a long time at TFTP ..... and says PXE-E32
TFTP open timeout -- but it finally boots linux and all

BIOS/MPBIOS messages are something you will have to sort out as far as
LTSP is concerned the process starts only on discovery of DHCPD. The
aperture size could be set to 8mb in BIOS if there is any such setting
available.

The time out message is what needs to be looked at from LTSP point of
view as this is indicating slow network. or network conflicts slowing
it down...like both NIC cards of LTSP two cars servers connected to
same physical network. But green indicators are telling us this may
not be so.

--
Regards,
Sudev Barar