[K12OSN] Getting sound going with videos

I have managed to get mplayer installed and it plays the video on the terminals for many different formats :)
Unfortunately it doesn't play any sound :{
Any tips how to get this working?

I am currently using k12ltsp 4.2. (I also have k12ltsp 4.4 server but I haven't played around with the sound on that one yet.) I get sound (ESD) with the following programs at present TuxMath, TuxPaint, GCompris, XMMS, Flash websites using Firefox. I have tried Totem also but I have found Mplayer easier to use. I have also tried Windows media player under Crossover Office 5. All are the same - video but no sound.

I tried installing Realplayer. Unfortunately I installed version 10 and I can't figure out how to uninstall it so I can try version 8.