[K12OSN] Swapping eth1 & eth0

David Whitmer thewhitmers at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 14:41:55 UTC 2007

On 1/15/07, Brian Chivers <brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk> wrote:
> I'm in the process of setting up a test k12ltsp box but I'm having an issue with the netcards. The
> server has a 10/100 card that it's seeing as eth0 and a onboard gigabit card that it's seeing as eth1.
>
> I've set eth0 as 10.0.0.254/8 for the thin clients & eth1 192.168.0.40/16 for internet & admin
> access but I'd really like the gigabit card for the thin clients.
>
> How do I swap them around ??
>
> Thanks
> Brian Chivers
> Portsmouth College

>    The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily
>                the views of Portsmouth College

Brian,

I had a similar situation on one of our servers.  I think I edited the
following files:

  /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0
  /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth1

changing the hardware addresses in each file to match the MAC of the
physical cards.  (I got the idea from a discussion thread from about a
year ago.)

As a disclaimer: I said "I think" that's what I did because a) I don't
have my setup notes for that server with me at the moment, and b)
won't be able to check the server itself until this evening.  I'll
send a follow-up if it turns out I actually did something different.

David Whitmer
Director of Media & Technology
Calvary Schools of Holland (Michigan)
web: www.calvaryschoolsholland.org