[K12OSN] Discussion on sound (not meant as a rant)

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 21:02:47 UTC 2007

Well,  I have now recompiled mplayer with only esd sound support.  If
launched from the command line, it works (mplayer some_file).  But, launched
using gmplayer, it no longer hangs on launch. Instead, it hangs/crashes when
you try to start the video.  Very irritating since gmplayer is just a link
to mplayer.  So, why does mplayer crash with the gui?  Any ideas?  I can
start trying to use various options to turn-off things like sse, mmx, etc
but before doing so, is there any good reason mplayer would play with
mplayer file, and not when selecting the file from the gui?  This is a major
issue for the school admin.  The teachers are not going to be happy being
asked to launch from a command line.

Or, how do I associate .mov and .asf files with mplayer so that
double-clicking them launches them with mplayer?