[K12OSN] [Fwd: Fedora 7]

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sat Jan 6 05:27:11 UTC 2007

Luis Montes wrote:
> Dan Young wrote:
>> Luis Montes wrote:
>>
>>> I've been a fedora/redhat user since redhat 5.1, but this move makes
>>> kubuntu look a little more attractive.  Sure, someone will spin a
>>> fedora
>>> KDE ISO, but ubuntu already has a KDE community with kubuntu.
>>>

>> Ubuntu started as a GNOME distro. Later, there was a subproject to make
>> Kubuntu (Ubuntu plus KDE). Fedora is primarily a GNOME distro and
>> they're planning a subproject to distribute a disc with KDE.
>>
>> I fail to see the difference.
>>
>> In fact, I think a "Fedora KDE" could be much improved over the existing
>> situation. Those who are passionate about KDE can form a community
>> around the Fedora KDE efforts and put their expertise to work. It's
>> evident from fedora-devel that there are many such passionate users.
>> This is a good thing.
>>

> The difference is that Mark Shuttleworth is actively contributing to KDE:
> http://dot.kde.org/1160932072/
>
> Also,  Ubuntu is one CD.
> Fedora's main distro is several CDs or a DVD.
> The DVD already contains the kitchen sink, why not KDE?
>
> I'm typing this on FC6, and like I said, I'm a long time redhat user.
> It's just sad that this reeks of a being the product of a
> pro-gnome/anti-kde agenda instead of something being done to help the
> distro.
>
> Luis

A little more than a year ago, I had a K12LTSP server in a school.  It
lasted two trouble-free years until it got discovered by the Windows
Nazis and ripped out.  During that time, I had the kids choosing GNOME,
KDE, or XFce.  About half of them chose KDE, since "it's more like XP",
and the other half chose GNOME.  A couple chose XFce out of curiosity.

BTW, I may have lost that K12LTSP server...but, as of recent, I now have
THREE MORE in its place!  Different sites, obviously.  TUX lives.

--TP
Do you GNU!?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.gnu.org/>--the ultimate antivirus
protection!