Re: [K12OSN] How to build Xvnc and LTSPFS into PPC tree?

On 3/19/07, Peter Scheie <peter scheie homedns org> wrote:
Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> On 3/16/07, Jim Kronebusch <jim winonacotter org> wrote:
>> Anyone know how or what it would take to build the VNC modules need to
>> run
>> FL_TeacherTool into the PPC tree, or how to build in the LTSPFS pieces
>> for local device
>> support?
>>
>> I have a ton of Macs that I could use as thin clients, but I think
>> these are very
>> important features to have for a successful roll out.  I really don't
>> want to have to
>> buy a hundred clients or so when I have machines that would work and
>> are already in
>> place and hooked up.  But I absolutely need to be sure I have local
>> device support.
>>

> Any news on this Jim?

On #ltsp today, Oliver Grawert, who is one of the primary devs for edubuntu, mentioned
that LDA is working in the PPC Edubuntu.  So, that should be doable.

Also, Chuck Liebow mentioned...something, can't recall quite what, where we might find
the vnc pieces for PPC.  But neither he nor I have looked into it specifically.
vncreflector *is* available for PPC: see
http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=vnc-reflector
But thinking about it now, what we really need is xvnc running on the client, correct?
The vncreflector part just runs on the server, right?  Robert, I can't recall the exact
machinations you & Eric went through to get it stable on K12LTSP, but could you describe
what is missing for PPC clients?

You are exactly right. It's the Xvnc module that needs to be built for
the PPC ltsp tree.

--
Robert Arkiletian