Re: [K12OSN] How do you setup clients so they print to different default printers?

wilson wilsonch gotdns com wrote:
wilson wilsonch gotdns com wrote:
You'll have to assign specific addresses to the clients in
/etc/dhcpd-k12ltsp.conf.
Then you can control the default printer based on the workstation name
or
address.  For
example, you could create the following script, call it set_printer.sh,
and put it in
/etc/profile.d.

#!/bin/sh
# Set default printer based on which workstation is being used
ws=$(echo $LTSP_CLIENT|cut -d. -f1)
case $ws in
   ws001 ) lpoptions -d library_printer ;;
   ws002 ) lpoptions -d library_printer ;;
   # and so on for the library workstations
   # now assign printers for the lab workstations
   ws013 ) lpoptions -d lab_printer ;;
   ws014 ) lpoptions -d lab_printer ;;
   # and so on
esac

### End of script

HTH

Petre
The script above looks good but is it okay to just create a .lpoptions
in
each user's home directory for the library computers
(/home/library#/.lpoptions) and add this in? Will it work?

/home/library#/.lpoptions
Default LTSPLibrary-Dell1710n scp-fc5=true

/etc/cups/lpoptions (LTSP SERVER)
Default LTSPLab-Dell1710n scp-fc5=true
Dest LTSPLibrary-Dell1710n scp-fc5=true

-Wilson

Well, as I see it, you want the _user's_ default printer to change
depending on _which
client_ that user is logging in, which are two different variables.  So,
unless you put
some mechanism in the user's `/.lpoptions that detects which client
machine is being
used, the .lpoptions route won't do you any good; it will only work for
one location.
The script above looks at what client machine is being used, and then sets
lpoptions
based on that.  I'm not very familiar with lpoptions, I just use it to set
a default
printer; perhaps one can include such logic in the ~/.lpoptions file.
OTOH, is the
set_printer.sh script not working for you?

Petre

Hi Petre,

I haven’t tried the script because I was a bit cautious on hard coding the
IP address of clients. The way our school is setup the students login to
the terminals with the terminal's name (library1) as their login/passwd.
So, each of the 12 library computers is labeled as library1-12 and the lab
is labeled as station1-15. So, if this is the case I could do the
/home/username/.loptions and add in the default printer.

Do you know if I can just use the /etc/cups/lpoptions file and modify it
for each user's /home/username/.loptions?

Wilson

Yes, you can just copy /etc/cups/lpoptions to ~/.lpoptions for each login ID and then modify ~/.lpoptions according to the printer you want to set. BTW, if you are using 'public' login IDs, you might look into setting up autologins (there's a how-to on the wiki) so that users don't even have to login.

Petre

wilson wilsonch gotdns com wrote:
Our school currently has one beefy LTSP server that we use for the
computer lab (15 Clients) and library (12 Clients). We have setup (2)
Dell
1710N network printers in the Lab & Library but how do you set the
user
profiles so each location prints to the correct printer by default?
Thanks!

Thin Client network range (192.168.0.100-200 /24)
Lab Printer 192.168.0.10 /24
Library Printer 192.168.0.11 /24

Generic User accounts are created for each lab.
==Lab==
Station 1 - 15

==Library==
Library 1 - 12