[K12OSN] auto-login with K12LTSP 6

Peter Scheie peter at scheie.homedns.org
Wed Nov 7 16:12:26 UTC 2007

If you want all your clients to auto-login, create the
/usr/local/bin/autologin script so that all workstations get assigned an
autologin ID, like so:

#!/bin/bash
     CLIENT=$(echo $DISPLAY | cut -d. -f1)
     case "$CLIENT" in
          "ws001")    disp=auto1;;
          "ws002")    disp=auto2;;
	# repeat this for all ws numbers listed in /etc/hosts
          "ws253")    disp=auto253;;
     esac
     echo $disp

Then, create logins IDs auto1 through auto253.  That way, no matter what
address a client machine gets, autologin will work, and you don't have
to specify MAC addresses in dhcpd.conf.  You do not have to create
passwords for the login IDs, but if you don't, be sure to turn off the
password requirement in the screensaver or users won't be able to get
back in once the screensaver kicks in.  See
http://k12ltsp.org/mediawiki/index.php/Turning_off_the_password_lock_in_the_Gnome_screensaver
for more info.

Peter