[K12OSN] Dhcp and iMac clients

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Tue Apr 8 04:56:13 UTC 2008

You can do that.  I've done it here at home with a PMac 5260 and an iMac
Orange (Tangerine?).  All you have to do is ensure that the proper
DHCP-fu ends up in your existing DHCP server.  If your existing DHCP
server is the standard ISC DHCPD, then just copy the DHCP info from
K12LTSP's /etc/dhcpd.conf into your existing one.

If it's not ISC DHCPD, though, then it very likely does not support
multiple CPU types for thin clients, so you'll have to configure it for
x86 thin clients OR Mac clients, i. e., not both.  So, you get to choose
a thin client architecture...or you get to do VLANs.  Personally, I
don't know what your objection to VLANs is, as that really is how you
should be doing this.

Yes, you can do DHCP on different ports, and Chuck Liebow has indicated
previously in the list how to do it.  It's in the K12OSN archives.
Power Macs use neither EtherBoot nor PXE, so you needn't worry about
that (they're more like Sun boxes that way).  But I'd do DHCP on
nonstandard ports only if I had no other choice.

--TP
Do you GNU <http://www.gnu.org>?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.cmosnetworks.com>--the ultimate
antivirus protection!