[K12OSN] VNC Problem Solved

Jeremy Schubert jschubert at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 17 03:22:00 UTC 2008

I found this solution at
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/vnc-server-on-cento
s-viewer-on-xp-557996/

If you really tried anything with port and :1 after your linux box ip try
disabling your linux firewall by typing
service iptables stop
and try entering into your vnc again.

If the problem will be solved you have to follow these simple steps:
step 1:
open the iptables config
vi /etc/sysconfig/iptables
Step 2:
Insert this Line:
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 5901 -j
ACCEPT
Step 3:
enable iptables again
service iptables restart

But now I have two vnc servers installed.  Since one came built into ltsp
and the other (freenx) didn't configure for me properly (following
instructions at http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/FreeNX which failed at
PasswordAuthentication no
        AllowUsers nx)
yum install nx freenx libXcomposite was the install command.  Can I replace
install with uninstall?

Jeremy