[K12OSN] Question for a serious problem I have.

Joseph Bishay joseph.bishay at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 02:32:33 UTC 2008

Hello,

I hope everyone is well.

I am running K12LTSP based on Fedora Core 6.  Ever since I did a clean
install to this version, I have had the problem with the 'last'
command.  Previously, "last -n 20" would show me the last 20 users who
logged into the system, as well as the time they logged in and out.
However, with this install the whenever I run the command I get, for
everyone the following:

student1              ws220.ltsp:0     Sun Feb 24 13:01    gone - no logout
student2              ws220.ltsp:0     Sun Feb 24 12:55    gone - no logout
student3              ws199.ltsp:0     Sun Feb 24 12:20    gone - no logout
student4              ws199.ltsp:0     Sun Feb 24 12:20    gone - no logout
student5              ws216.ltsp:0     Sun Feb 24 12:17    gone - no logout

The problem, as you can see, is that no matter what time they log out,
the system will show them as gone - no logout.  This never used to
happen until this version.  It doesn't matter if the person was logged
in for 3 minutes, 30 minutes, or 3 hours - they will always show as
gone - no logout.

My problem now is that we have a student who is being considered for
suspension from the school due to an email he sent to a girl.  The
parents want the student gone as the letter was extremely upsetting
and inappropriate.  There were several people in the lab at the time
the email was sent, but they all left and logged out at different
times.  I need to be able to show who was still in the lab at the time
the email was sent.  Thus this problem is a major one.

My question is - how can I get the last command to correctly show the
time they logged out?

Thank you.
Joseph