Re: [K12OSN] K12LTSP status

On 7/23/2010 3:09 PM, Joseph Bishay wrote:
Allo,

I used K12LTSP for years and it was rock solid.  I ended up moving to
K12Linux because of the additional features that were available by
using a more "cutting-edge" distribution, specifically graphics,
boot-up speed, desktops, etc.  I guess my question is, would all that
be available still with CentOS 6 (I use it on at least 5 other servers
so I know it's pretty awesome, but that's with respect to servers, not
workstations for kids in a school).

The problem is that CentOS 6 doesn't exist yet. When it does, it should be close to fedora 13 and even closer to the Red Hat beta 6 that you could preview now: http://www.redhat.com/rhel/beta/

 I've got a problem now where we have an nvidia Ion machine that won't
work with anything but the most up-to-date distribution (and even that
is still not automatic but requires quite a few steps to get it to
work) -- how would that be affected by moving to CentOS?

Other things like Firefox versions, OO.org, etc?

The enterprise versions usually release with fairly current software but the updates are just bug/security fixes from then on. With CentOS 5, Firefox and OO were exceptions, getting major version updates after the release.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com