[K12OSN] Sound problems

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Mon Aug 22 14:52:16 UTC 2011

On 08/22/2011 09:34 AM, Jomegat wrote:
> On 08/22/2011 08:50 AM, Gideon Romm wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Jomegat<jomegat at jomegat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> [root at monarch ~]# aplay
>>> ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
>>
>> It seems ALSA cannot find card 0.
>>
>> Did you run this command on the server?
>
> Good question. I was logged into a TC and opened an xterm. I THINK that
> means I ran the command on the server. I do not know how to run anything
> on the TC, but would appreciate enlightenment.
>

>> If YES => the alsa -> pulseaudio redirection is not configured and you
>> need to modify your /etc/asound.conf
>
> This could be it - there is no /etc/asound.conf. Perhaps I have a
> missing package?
>

>> If NO (you ran the command on the thin client) => The thin client
>> cannot find an appropriate driver for the sound card.
>
> Thanks!

Are you sure you are running K12Linux and not K12LTSP?  K12Linux used
LTSP5 and I thought pulseaudio was one of the things that didn't work in
EL5.  Most EL5 users run K12LTSP which was LTSP4.

If it is LTSP4 I really have no idea how it is supposed to work because
I have never run anything less than LTSP5.

It looks like LTSP4 is using ESD for network audio but I don't know if
the mic ever worked with that.

You might end up having to go to K12Linux with Fedora or EL6.

Jeff