Re: [K12OSN] /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf must NOT be a symbolic link

Might be an SELinux thing, if you have it running in enforcing mode. I ran into this when moving virtual machines from one filesystem to another. Not only does the file need to be the right permissions, but so does the symlink ("chcon -h [security context] /my/symbolic/link" helps out here).

--TP

Brian Fristensky wrote:
I just installed the most recent LTSP on RHEL6.1, and everything went fine,
except that ltsp-dhcpd would not start.

After a lot of head scratching, I finally looked at /var/log/messages
and discovered a "permission denied" message for dhcpd.conf.

My practice is that I never change files in /etc, because I try to cut down on the size of things that need to be backed up. Rather, if I want to change a file, I put a copy of it in /usr/local/etc, which does get backed up, and then make a symbolic link to it. Rebuilding a system from scratch is as simple as recreating those symbolic links (a very small number) when a system is restored from backups.

In any case, simply copying this file back to /etc/ltsp fixed it, and my thin client
booted up and started ltsp flawlessly.

It might be a useful tweak to ltsp to allow files to be symbolic links. Not sure
why it didn't like the link.

Brian