Re: [K12OSN] Thin Client Hardware for k12ltsp

On 02/24/2014 07:33 AM, Joe Fagliarone wrote:
Hello all.  This is my first post here.  I have enjoyed reading (and
learning) all the other posts.  Great information.

I have a centos 6.3 and k12 ltsp environment.

I currently have thin clients that are old (almost 10 years) and are in
need of replacement.  Parts are breaking due to age and are harder to
come by. I have been getting parts on amazon and other sites.

However I wanted to hear what kind of hardware are you using for your
thin clients.

WYSE
HP
Self-configured thin clients.

Self configured for me. I could never find any off the shelf clients that had everything I wanted at a reasonable price.

By far my favorite all-around client has been the D945GSEJT with Morex T1610 case:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Intel_D945GSEJT_with_Morex_T1610

Thin, fanless, easy to assemble, reliable, well supported. The only thing wrong with them is the GPU which really can't do anything accelerated.

For boxes where I needed proper 3D support I went with a Zotac IONITX board.

Sadly the D945GSEJT is now EOS and the Intel replacements I last looked into (granted a while ago) all had issues with Linux GPU drivers.

Something like this may still be a viable option though:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856173032

However, it lacks the fanless aspect and is significantly more power hungry.

Jeff