[katello-devel] Foreman Registration Design

Dominic Cleal dcleal at redhat.com
Wed Dec 19 16:32:12 UTC 2012

On 19/12/12 09:38, Lukas Zapletal wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 11:25:31AM +0000, Dominic Cleal wrote:
>> I suppose the assumption for now is that the puppetmaster will always be
>> the Katello host - there won't any support for splitting up and
>> multiplying the number of puppetmaster hosts yet?  At that point, the
>> hostname may need to be more dynamic than as delivered in the RPM.
>>

> Well I mean we would just add puppetmaster bits into the katello-cert
> rpm. This wiki explains what we actually do:
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/katello/wiki/GuideSystemRegistrationClient#Option1preferredmethod:UsingthebootstrapRPM
>
> and here you can see the RPM post inst script:
>
> https://github.com/Katello/katello/blob/master/katello-configure/modules/certs/templates/rhsm-katello-reconfigure.erb
>
> The RPM is generated during configuration of Katello, everything in
> there is dynamic (and can be also re-generated with reapplying
> katello-configure = puppet).

This assumes a single puppetmaster though specified in the RPM upfront.
 Foreman supports any number of puppetmasters, which is specified on the
host (and might be populated from the hostgroup) and could be installed
alongside Foreman or on other hosts with smart proxies.

How flexible will Katello be about supported Foreman and Puppet
architectures to start with?

--
Dominic Cleal
Red Hat Engineering