Partial User Intervention

Ed Brown ebrown at lanl.gov
Wed Sep 22 20:25:05 UTC 2004

It's not graphical and pretty, but providing network settings as
parameters at the 'boot:' prompt is as straightforward as it gets, and
may be your only option for "user interaction" depending on type of
install you are doing (if you are retrieving the kickstart file from the
network, for example).  If you have params that don't change often
(dns=..., netmask=...), they can be included in your custom
syslinux.cfg, like:

label linux
  kernel vmlinuz
  append initrd=initrd.img
label custom
  kernel vmlinuz
  append initrd=initrd.img text  gateway=192.168.1.2 dns=192.168.1.1 netmask=255.255.255.0 ks=ftp://192.168.1.3/RHEL-3/kickstart/default.cfg method=ftp://192.168.1.3/RHEL-3

Now you just need to type:
boot:  custom ip=192.168.1.5
and you are done with ip configuration.

We provide a default partition scheme, and an opportunity in %pre to make
one-time, runtime changes to it, like this:

%pre
chvt 3                        # change to virtual terminal 3
exec < /dev/tty3 > /dev/tty3  # and make sure keyboard comes with us
clear
echo "Some message asking if user wants to edit the default partitioning
in the temp, local copy of the kickstart file"
echo "type 'e' to edit, or press enter to continue with kickstart"
read reply
if echo "$reply" |grep  -q ^e$
then
        vi  /tmp/ks.cfg
fi

When user quits vi, the install continues.
Again, it's not graphical, and expects user to be able to edit kickstart
file.  (Can also change other fields, packages for example.)

-Ed