[Libvir] [RFC] Add Container support to libvirt

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Jan 3 05:03:38 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 10:07:39AM +0530, Shuveb Hussain wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How do you plan to maintain VM states across base machine reboots. I
> mean just as Xen uses XenStore and OpenVZ uses config files to
> "remember" VM configs? Are there tools being developed to do that?
>
> As I see it the container infrastructure is going into 2.6.24 as a
> generic UNIXish mechanism. It is well integrated into the kernel. So
> I'm really wondering if there are generic tools going to be available
> to manage the configuration of containers.

If there are existing tools available or being developed we should use
them, otherwise we should just define the process ourselves.

> I don't know if it is a good idea to use libvirt's XML files
> themselves for container config and start containers during libvirtd
> start-up. I'm just thinking aloud here. What was your plan?

I think that using the libvirt XML file format would be a good initial
starting point, since its in keeping with the QEMU/KVM driver and there's
no other pre-existing config file format available. You could have a
dir /etc/libvirt/[your driver] to store them in. You'd be able to re-use
much of the code in the existing qemu driver to  this - I do similar
re-use and file formats for the forthcoming storage API drivers.

Dan.