[Libvir] a couple of questions -Newbie

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Mar 3 22:12:47 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 11:14:05AM -0700, Spencer Parker wrote:
> I am really excited to start using this, but I have a couple of questions
> about how to use it exactly.  I want to be able to pull a list of stats out
> of my Xen machines.  I need to get something like network i/o.  I just need
> to know how much in and out traffic that a specific machine is doing.  I am
> pretty new to python and to programming in general.  I have looked at the
> APi and stuff like that, but am a little confused still on how to actually
> do this.  Mainly I just need to know how to connect to certain things.

You can actually just do this directly with virt-top:

  virt-top -csv file.csv

You'll get a new line of stats in the CSV file every (by default) 3
seconds, and if you look at the "Net RXBY" and "Net TXBY" columns for
each domain that will tell you bytes received and bytes sent in that 3
second period.  You can also feed the CSV output into a pipe and
process it using another program in real time.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v