[libvirt] qemu-kvm>=0.14 is unable to boot

Zdenek Styblik stybla at turnovfree.net
Thu Aug 4 18:16:56 UTC 2011

On 08/04/11 03:49, Laine Stump wrote:
> On 08/03/2011 01:16 AM, Zdenek Styblik wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm wondering what might be behind qemu-kvm>=0.14 is unable to boot
>> except from PXE and perhaps virtio HDD.
>>
>> I mean, is somebody running qemu-kvm>=0.14 and libvirt-0.9.3/0.9.4
>> around here, thus is my setup broken?
>
> I had the problem that qemu-kvm-0.14 and libvirt-0.9.3 was unable to
> boot a *virtio* disk (which is exactly the opposite of what you type,
> but just in case that was a typo...). This was because qemu 0.14 was
> advertising (in the help) that bootindex was available, and libvirt saw
> that and told qemu to use it, but the version of seabios on my system
> (Fedora 14, running seabios-0.6.0) was too old to support it, so the
> boot failed. The solution was to add "<bootmenu enable='yes'/>" to the
> guest's config, which forces it to not use bootindex, and thus the guest
> will boot.
>
> --

Laine,

first of all, thanks. It did solved problem for me with libvirt-0.9.4
and qemu-kvm-0.15rc1. It is also solution for libvirt-0.9.3+ and
qemu-kvm-0.14+.

As for booting, I can honestly say whether virtio did boot or did not.
And I have no way how to verify it right now(I have like one VM working
so far in my new dev setup and still fiddling with kickstart).
PXE did and didn't work, CD-ROM didn't, virtio ... I don't know. And
perhaps it doesn't matter, because booting is broken.
Is this "fix"/workaround noted somewhere? If not, it should be. And if
told where/how, I volunteer to note it.

As for seabios, I don't have one, or do I? I couldn't find it in
packages/files, that's I'm sure of.
Perhaps missing seabios is the problem?

Zdenek

--