Libvirt Open Source Contribution

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Wed Sep 16 07:32:28 UTC 2020

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 03:39:12PM -0500, Barrett J Schonefeld wrote:
> Hey libvirt team,
>
> We (Ryan Gahagan, Dustan Helm, and Barrett Schonefeld) are computer science
> students at the University of Texas at Austin. We are taking a course in
> virtualization, and we’d like to contribute to the libvirt repository as
> part of this course. Here are the issues we are most interested in:
>
> https://gitlab.com/libvirt/libvirt/-/issues/11
>
> https://gitlab.com/libvirt/libvirt/-/issues/16
>
> Additionally, we would like to take a look at issue 4 (
> https://gitlab.com/libvirt/libvirt/-/issues/4), the UDP slowdown for QEMU.
> We expect issue 4 to be more time-intensive, and we would like to
> communicate with you to ensure we’re solving the problem effectively.
>
> Our course only runs until the end of the fall semester, so our time to
> contribute to this project is somewhat limited. If you think any of the
> issues we picked would be too difficult to accomplish during that time
> frame, we would appreciate alternative suggestions. We really hope to
> contribute to this project and help make improvements where we can.

Thank you for your interest in contributing to libvirt!

#11 is an good ticket to tackle, because it doesn't matter how much
or little you do. It has been an ongoing effort people have written
patches for over months now. We're just taking the conversion a file
at a time. It is not especially interesting work, but an easy way to
get started sending patches.

#16 should be reasonably straightforward to do too, as it is just a
small amount of work in virsh client tool and fairly well self contained.

It is hard to say what #4 will involve, as I don't understand the root
cause problem there really, and so can't guess how much work it will
involve to fix. Feel free to discuss this issue in more detail on this
list or in the issue tracker, as needed.

There's plenty of other reasonably small pieces of work that are tagged
with "bitesizedtask"  in the issue tracker if you want to consider more
options as you go.