Auditing network traffic

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Wed Jan 20 18:30:11 UTC 2016

On Wednesday, January 20, 2016 01:05:45 PM F Rafi wrote:
> Perhaps this is of use. My goal was to restrict audit logs to outbound
> connections only to reduce the amount of logs.
>
> # Outbound connections could indicate exfiltration of data (connect vs
> accept)
> # Log 64 bit processes (a2!=6e filters local unix socket calls)
>
> -a exit,always -F arch=b64 -S connect -F a2!=110 -k network_outbound64

This is good for TCP connections. There's always UDP where you would need
sendto and sendmsg. Imagine someone exfiltrating on what seems to be DNS lookup
requests.

The IPTables AUDIT target is what is really meant to audit information flow in
or out of the system. I think this is the first discussion on the mail list
where someone might be trying to use it. I'm hoping this leads to making it
better.

-Steve