Audisp-remote - connection refused.

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Wed Oct 4 15:19:40 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, October 4, 2017 10:01:49 AM EDT Rituraj Buddhisagar wrote:
> Hi Steve / List
>
> Now, I have built auditd from source as per the mail thread and then also
> created a startup script.
>
> The auditd is starting successfully.
>
> The client is able to connect to the aggregating server.
>

> *node=guslogs type=DAEMON_ACCEPT msg=audit(1507125123.240:7272):
> addr=192.168.103.2 port=60 res=success*
>

> I have made the necessary change in the server in /etc/audit/auditd.conf
>
> *log_format = NOLOG*

This is a deprecated option tells it to not write anything to disk.

> I do not see any logs being populated - I checked log file on client, the
> server - also the /var/spool/audit/remote.log on the client.
> On the server side /var/spool/audit/remote.log is empty (I am not sure if
> this is something I should be checking at all)
>
> I am clueless as to what is happening. Is there some way to debug this?

Did you modify auditd.conf to have the format be nolog? If so, its an
explained condition. Nolog means no logging to disk.

> Where are these logs getting lost?
> When change the log_format back to RAW I do see the logs getting created on
> the client.

For remote logging, you should set the format to enriched. This resolves
things locally so that the aggregating server can make sense of it later. If
you do not want events written to disk on the remote system, set write_logs =
no. You should also set name_format = hostname (or something else) in
auditd.conf of the remote systems. This is so you can tell who is creating the
events in the aggregating server.

On the aggregating server, also set the format to enriched. But there you have
to have write_logs = yes. Also set name_format = hostname in auditd.conf of
the server.

I would not recommend setting the name in audispd.conf for any system.

-Steve