[Linux-cluster] fence option problem

Jim Parsons jparsons at redhat.com
Mon Apr 16 12:38:10 UTC 2007

Marco Minato wrote:

> James Parsons ha scritto:
>
>> Marco Minato wrote:

>>> Look. I've modified now cluster.conf as down
>>>
>>>                <clusternode name="nodo1" votes="1">
>>>                        <fence>
>>>                                <method name="1">
>>>                                        <device name="APC_fence"
>>> port="1" switch="10.0.0.10" option="Off"/>
>>>                                </method>
>>>                        </fence>
>>>                </clusternode>
>>>                <clusternode name="nodo2" votes="1">
>>>                        <fence>
>>>                                <method name="1">
>>>                                        <device name="APC_fence"
>>> port="2" switch="10.0.0.10" option="Off"/>
>>>                                </method>
>>>                        </fence>
>>>                </clusternode>
>>>
>>> wondering option statement is ok..
>>>
>>> I've modified <device> part as you said, upgrade the config_version
>>> and copied the conf file in nodes and restarted cluster.
>>> now in s-c-c i've no per-node fence device configured.. if I click
>>> on "send to cluster" icon the system update
>>> the configuration as down:
>>>
>>> <clusternode name="nodo1" votes="1">
>>>                        <fence>
>>>                                <method name="1"/>
>>>                        </fence>
>>>                </clusternode>
>>>                <clusternode name="nodo2" votes="1">
>>>                        <fence>
>>>                                <method name="1"/>
>>>                        </fence>
>>>                </clusternode>
>>>
>>> No fence device!! I've tried to use ccs_tool for propagating the
>>> config file with the same result..
>>> What I'm doing bad?? :)
>>

>> 1) The 'switch' parameter (which you have set to "10.0.0.10")  is
>> used only when you are using ganged apc switches, that is, multiple
>> daisy-chained switches. Leave that parameter off...and it is def not
>> supposed to be a dotted quad :)
>> 2) Do you have a <fencedevices> section in your conf file? There
>> should be something that looks like this:
>> <fencedevices>
>>  <fencedevice type="fence_apc" login="xxx" passwd="xxx"
>> name="APC_fence"/>
>> </fencedevices>
>>
>> It is possible that if the fencedevices block is missing, then the ui
>> might be saying to itself, 'these fence instances are useless' and
>> not including them. I will have to look at the code...but first, I
>> want to get your cluster running - and you will need to specify
>> fencedevices in order for that to happen.
>>
>> -J
>>
>> --
>>

> Hi, good morning,
>
> 1) If I don't set the switch parameter the system-config-cluster
> program says: "A switch address must be provided for this Fence"...
> for me a common address is a dotted quad expression.. what can I put
> instead of it?
> 2) For sure I've the fencedevice section configured.. I said the
> fencing IS working.. the only thing is that I don't want the cluster
> restarts nodes but switch them off! If the fencedevice section is
> [...]

Put '0' in the switch field.

That requirement has been fixed in a more recent version of the UI.

You really should not have to change the fence_apc script at all. It is
a pretty stable agent.

If you wish to have the agent power the node off when fenced, rather
thaan reboot it, in the conf file include 'option="Off"' attribute in
the device section under the node (on the same line that says 'port="x"').

-J