[Linux-cluster] heartbeat over 2 NICs - Hi Christine

Martin Fuerstenau martin.fuerstenau at oce.com
Wed Jun 4 12:12:21 UTC 2008

Hi,

in my config here I use 2 dual port network cards in each node. I run a
2 node cluster. The nodes are in two racks in the same room.

Port 1 of Card 1 and Port 1 of card 2 are bonded to bond0 and are (for
fail over and redundancy) connected to 2 Cisco switches. This
configuration is save even in the case if on network card will fail.

Port 2 of Card 1 and Port 2 of card 2 are bionded to interface bond1.
This interface has a private non routed address (192.168....) and is
connected to the second with 2 crossed network cables. Therefore I need
no switch for the cluster internal traffic. And that means more security
because a nonexixting switch can not fail.

This configuration works well now for the last two years.

Yours
Martin Fürstenau
Oce Printing Systems