[Linux-cluster] GFS Tuning - it's just slow, to slow for production

Carlos Maiolino cmaiolino at redhat.com
Thu Mar 4 14:59:06 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 08:33:28AM -0600, Alan A wrote:
> We are trying to deploy GFS in production, and are experiencing major
> performance issues. What parameters in GFS settune can be changed to
> increase I/O, to better tune performance? Application we run utilizes a lot
> of I/O, please advise.
>
> We experience OK performance when starting, but as things ramp up and we get
> few processes going GFS slows dramatically.
>
> --
> Alan A.

Hi Alan,

Are you using GFS1 or GFS2 ?

If you are using GFS1, try to use GFS2, GFS1 will be deprecated and GFS2 has a lot of "auto-tuning" parameters as default and the performance is better as well.
So, try to look at this document:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.4/html/Global_File_System_2/s1-manage-atimeconf.html

see ya

--