[linux-lvm] Implementation questions

Jesus Manuel NAVARRO LOPEZ jesus_navarro at promofinarsa.es
Tue Dec 18 03:07:01 UTC 2001

Hi, Colin:

Colin Coe wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I need to set up a bunch of Linux machines of approximately the following
> specs:
> - PII 400
> - 2 x 20GB HDD
> - 256 MB  RAM
> - RedHat 7.2
>
> What I want is to use software raid (mirroring) and LVM.  How do I do this
> from scratch?  I have looked but can't find a howto on this.  I have
> attempted to do this but have run into several problems:
> - During RH7.2 install you can choose to install to /dev/md but not LVM
> - Once you have installed the OS there is no (easy/intuitive) way to get the
> LVM in place
>
> As I have about 130 of these to do, I am toying with the idea of installing
> a cut-down Linux system with XFS, LAM, md and ramdisk support and making a
> bootable CD-ROM which I can then use to configure the system how I want it.

As you're talking about a farly respectable number of boxes, the
automated idea seems reasonable.  I would have a look at the LUI project
from IBM and/or even a physical disk replicator: the first option will
be better with maintenance in mind, while the second one will be much
faster.  Anyway, the problem about how to proficiently install 130 boxes
is orthogonal with the LVM one.

As you say, you can set and install RH7.2 on top an md device, and no,
RH7.2 installer has no support for LVM so, again due to the high number
of boxes, I would try to go with something like this:
1/ Try to copy the install CDs to a hard disk (that is to a non
read-only device).  Look for the RH7.2 install config list to reduce the
number of packages for the "minimal" installation to a real bare
minimum.  With this you should be able to reduce the amount of space
requiered to something below 80/120MB over an md device.
2/ Install the system to a single root partition.  Most probably you
don't want swap space neither under RAID nor LVM, so that partition will
be created too.  It migth suppouse something like a 150MB root partition
(for the whole install) and a 2*RAM swap partition, both as primaries.
3/ Have a newer kernel and patch as needed with LVM, and proper tools
4/ Make the LVM devices on top md mirroring as needed.  Then you should
decide if you want root on LVM too or not (probably is easier not to
have / on top of LVM, but that's your decision)
5/ Complete your installation, delete/actualize/add packages as needed,
and move data to LVM controlled partitions (/usr, /var...)
6/ Mirror this "base" disk, running at the end of the process a
"cleaning" script (even if you can manage your installation's net
options through DHCP at least FQDN for that boxes should be fixed)
7/ Test and retest your procedures until you're glad with them
8/ Add to your process the way to remote maintain/actualize those boxes
9/ Polish the documentation you have been putting together till now and
publish it somewhere as GPL so others can take advantage of your effort.

--
SALUD,
Jesús
jesus_navarro at promofinarsa.es